Protection Project Manager (CP/WPE) – Syrian Arab Republic
Position Title: Protection Project Manager
Location: Northeast Syria (NES)
Period: up to 5 months with possibility of renewal
Closing date of the vacancy: November 14, 2022 (continuing application)
Start date: AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE
Un Ponte Per (UPP) is an international humanitarian organization based in Italy. Originally named Un Ponte Per Baghdad (A Bridge to Baghdad), the association became simply Un Ponte Per after expanding its work to the Balkans, as well as other Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries.
The UPP is currently active in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organizations. In Italy and Europe, the UPP works to promote peace and disarmament, human rights and the inclusion of refugees and migrants. The UPP firmly rejects war as a solution to international and national conflicts, it makes tireless efforts with the ultimate goal of developing a more equal and peaceful coexistence until social cohesion.
Entering the ninth year of the Syrian crisis, the conflict continues to expose civilians to acute humanitarian health and protection needs. In northeastern Syria (NES), widespread displacement, destruction of basic services and increased exposure to protection risks continue. In response, the UPP implements health and protection programs with funding from several donors, including the EU, OFDA, AICS, and private funds.
The objective of the UPP and local partners is to improve the physical and psychosocial well-being of the population affected by the conflict with a view to strengthening the capacities of local actors and the resilience of communities in the NES.
The NES Protection program is funded by the Italian Cooperation Agency (AICS), ECHO, BHA, IOM, Latvian MoFA as well as the Soka Gakkai Institute and other donors. It uses an integrated approach, with health as the entry point to ensure wider access of women and girls as well as children to protection services, including GBV and CP case management.
For more information, please visit our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
Under the supervision of the relevant Desk Officer at HQ and HoM, the Protection Project Manager (PM) will be responsible for setting up, planning, implementing and monitoring a protection programme. newly established integrated protection in northeast Syria (NES). – with particular emphasis on community protection and capacity building programmes/activities. In particular, the PM will offer guidance to Women’s Protection and Empowerment and Child Protection programs on the implementation of a Women and Girls Safe Space (WGSS) and Safe Space to children (CFS) in the NES.
The selected candidate will oversee effective management and relationships with partners and other external stakeholders, manage interventions throughout the project cycle, including budget management, and lead the preparation and development of program plans of high quality, progress reports and donors. In coordination with the sectoral teams (Protection/MSPSS and Health) as well as the administrative and MEAL teams, the PM will ensure appropriate technical support, personnel management, coordination for the overall quality of the project.
This position will report to the Head of Mission (HoM) and HQ Protection Office Manager, and will receive technical support from the Protection Coordinator and technical teams.
Project Cycle Management and Reporting
- Set up, plan and oversee the implementation of project activities in close collaboration with implementing partners, key project staff and technical staff;
- Plan project expenditures and ensure compliance of budget expenditures with donor requirements;
- Ensure, in collaboration with the administrative office, the overall management, control and monitoring of financial and administrative procedures, in accordance with the organizational systems and instructions of the PPU;
- Ensure that all project reports (internal and external) are completed in a timely and accurate manner and in accordance with PPU and donor requirements;
- Design and implement a protection monitoring and evaluation plan, in coordination with MEAL and technical teams for protection data collection tools, analyzes and evaluations;
- Participate in the development of proposals, budgets and concept notes in coordination with the protection office manager and the coordinator.
- Support the recruitment of local staff of the PPU and partners with the technical teams and the human resources department;
- Supervise, train and mentor project staff, in coordination with technical teams to carry out prevention and response activities;
- Design and execute a capacity building project plan including management of technical experts/trainers and local staff in line with capacity building plans in coordination with HoM, Protection Office and Coordinator;
- Ensure that staff members implement and adhere to best practices and international standards on GBV and child protection.
- Provide technical support to implementing partners to build local capacity and ensure proper project implementation in accordance with internal PPU guidelines and donor requests;
- With the support of the Protection Coordinator and the technical team, ensure that international guidelines and internal SOPs are followed in the establishment of case management services, child-friendly spaces and safe spaces for women and girls;
- Ensure that the age, gender and diversity approach is applied consistently across all activities through community participatory and grassroots participatory methods;
- Ensure that the UPP code of conduct, policies and guidelines are enforced, including the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA).
Coordination & Representation
- Liaise and maintain good relations with local partners, other INGOs and with all relevant stakeholders;
- Keep abreast of the protection and health situation and represent the UPP in relevant working groups and humanitarian coordination meetings;
- Maintain monitoring and management of protective services in assigned area, ensuring up-to-date mapping of services and referrals;
- Liaise with other PPU health and protection projects to ensure mission-level coordination and synergies;
- Represent the PPU and participate in donor meetings, as requested by the HoM and/or the Desk Officer;
- Perform any other task relevant to the project and the position assigned by the HoM and the Desk Officer.
- Other Responsible for promoting the visibility of protection projects and the visibility of the organization, in collaboration with the departments concerned;
- Carry out other activities exclusively related to programs of interest to the organization in the field requested by the headquarters / HoM.
- University degree in social sciences, human rights, international affairs;
- 3 years of professional experience in project management in international NGOs;
- Previous experience in safe spaces, WPE/GBV, CP or community-based protection projects (such as working with vulnerable people and/or displaced populations);
- Excellent mastery of project life cycle management with a particular focus on administration and reporting actions;
- Proven ability to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives;
- Fluency in oral and written English is essential. Italian language skills are an important competitive advantage;
- Experience working with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs and others);
- Experience in writing project proposals;
- Experience in writing reports on protection activities/issues.
- Proven communication and behavioral skills to work directly with affected communities;
- Experience in planning, organizing and prioritizing work, working under pressure and meeting deadlines;
- Strong teamwork and management skills in multicultural contexts;
- Proactive attitude;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Excellent spoken and written Italian and English
The UPP requires a criminal background check certificate (issued no more than 3 months prior to the job offer date) to confirm a job offer. We are aware that in some countries, the issue of a criminal record certificate by the competent authorities may take several weeks. However, the UPP organizes selections to deploy personnel in emergency programs and the time between the offer of employment and the deployment in the field is often very short. Thus, we ask all candidates to prepare in time and to be able to quickly submit their certificate in the event of success in the selection.
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or Kurmanji;
- Experience working in NES or MENA;
- Excellent knowledge of guidelines established by AICS and/or other Italian and other donors.
Un Ponte Per is an international NGO committed to diversity and inclusion within its teams, respecting the principle of non-discrimination. The UPP encourages all applicants, regardless of gender, religion and ethnicity, including people with disabilities, to apply and become part of the organization.
UPP meets all minimum standards for ethical conduct and strives to raise its standards above the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved for sexual abuse and exploitation and the abuse, violence, harm, injury and neglect of children. By applying, any applicant warrants that they have never breached any SEA and child protection standard and will not do so in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, the UPP will conduct a thorough verification and verification of the references of the shortlisted candidates, as well as the contacts indicated by the candidate. Applicants are cautioned that the required background check could compromise their privacy. Shortlisted applicants must promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check.
How to register
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV (PDF format) with the authorization to use and process the data on the basis of EU Regulation 2016/679 – GDPR and a brief motivation letter (PDF format) which includes the contact details of three professionals. References (relevant and recent) to: [email protected]. Please refer “NES Protection Project Manager – Last Name First Name” in the subject line of your email application and name the files attached to your application like name_name_CV, name_name_CL, etc.
Be informed that the UPP screens potential colleagues through anti-terrorism/anti-money laundering/anti-corruption/anti-fraud sanctions lists prior to job offer. Only selected candidates will be contacted.